Sorry for the delay in updating the blog. It was a very bad week for Heidi and I. It started on Monday when my white count was very low and started shots of Luekine to increase the bone marrow activity of producing white blood cells. On Monday afternoon I started severe diarrhea that was the worst I have ever had. It continued through Monday night, Tuesday, Tuesday night and finally on Wednesday I asked the nurses at Dr. Marquinez's office for help. I had not urinated in 36 hours or more (kidney's had shut down) and I actually passed out on Tuesday night. The nurses immediately began giving me I.V. Fluids, Magnesium and Potassium. They would not let me leave until I started peeing again! Finally, after 2 liters I did go to the bathroom and I did go home. The nurses insisted that I return on Thursday and Friday and get another round of the same of more Magnesium, Potassium and Fluids. I have done this. I still have not gotten rid of the diarrhea but it has slowed. Everything that I eat causes some abdominal cramping and diarrhea. Dr. Marquinez has ordered some test and I see him on Monday.
The other bad thing that happened was that Dr. Blessing Godwin (Radiation Oncologist) called me on Thursday morning to tell me that she is refusing to do radiation treatments on me which were to start this Monday morning. She said every model that she crafted for the radiation was going to cause too much damage to my lungs and heart. It seems that I have a very large field to shoot and that my stomach lies in my left chest more so than the normal person. Since they have to shoot my stomach as well, it will cause even more radiation to my left lung. She said she can not recommend treatment and was canceling my appointments. She offered for me to get a second opinion at the Cleveland Clinic and offered to set this up. I told her I would discuss this with Dr. Marquinez and Dr. White further to decide which direction to go. I later called her back and asked her to set up appointment at Cleveland Clinic since it would hurt nothing to get a second opinion. I see them on Friday February 18th at 11:00 a.m. I wasn't crazy about the idea of the radiation treatment to begin with, but then I am also concerned that this might not be a treatment option too.
So, I spent everyday this week at Dr. Marquinez's office/clinic getting shots and fluids. I did not get anything else accomplished this week. Dr. Marquinez called me last night to discuss our plan for this upcoming week. He said since the chemotherapy had proven to be working, he wants to do the same strong dose as round 1 and round 2. We are going to do this round 3 treatment on Monday morning. He also agreed to seek opinion of Cleveland Clinic and then we can proceed further after we get that information which will take a couple of weeks to determine.