Thursday, December 23, 2010

Don Beckett Medical Update

On December 15th, 2010 I was diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer.  This is a very bad cancer because the esophagus does not have a protective lining to contain the cancer.  Their is a tumor in my esophagus that is growing also and narrowing which causes trouble swallowing.

On December 20, 2010, I had a PET Scan and CT Scan.  The PET scan you get injected a radioactive glucose in high concentration.  This glucose travels to the cancer cells.  Then a scan is done which takes 3 hours.  The scan revealed my cancer is my Lymph Nodes.  This is not good.

On December 22, 2010, I had a surgical consult with Dr. Ghumari a thoracic surgeon. He had reviewed my PET scan.  He did not give me good news.  His opinion, we should not do surgery now.  If he removes the esophagus now, the cancer is already out of there and spreading.  He believes I should start Chemotherapy immediately for 2-3 months to try to kill cancer cells in Lymph Nodes.  Then if this works, do a very complicated surgery to remove bottom half of esophagus and move stomach up to re-attached to esophagus in my neck area.  A blood supply would need routed from my neck to supply this area.  Often complications after surgery of the esophagus leaking.  Difficult to re-attach.    Dr. Ghumari states without any treatment I would have 6 months to 1 year to live.  With treatment, may extend this 3-5 years.

I have another surgery consult on Dec 29th with Dr. Eric Espinal a thoracic surgeon at Akron City.  Very highly recommended.

On December 30th, I have a consult with Oncologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment