Monday, May 16, 2011

Monday May 16

I apologize for the delay in this update!  Will try to do a better job!  The reason for delay is good news!  I was feeling good and getting caught up on my chores!

Medically, I started to eat food again this past week.  I can pretty much eat anything now as long as I do it slowly and with liquids to flush it down with!  Very little vomiting.  I gained about 5 lbs back!  I am at 176 now.  We are in a "recovery" period for lack of a better term and they are letting me get my strength back.  On or around June 6th we will get another PET Scan to determine where they cancer still exist.  We are hopeful that it is out of Lymph Nodes and only in esophagus.  If this is the case, they will probably drop some radiation probes down my esophagus and "zap" me from the inside.  I do not not much about this procedure yet.  My energy level is about 80%!  Most of my dizziness is gone unless I get up real fast.  I have also begun to exercise daily with walking or biking.  On Thursday, I did a 12 mile bike ride!  Yes, it did wear me out but I enjoyed it!

The Kent Firefighter's sponsored a Reverse Raffle for me and my family this past Friday night.  We had 340 persons in attendance and they actually had to stop selling tickets due to hall size limitations.  The Committee, Brock Murphy, Scott Simmons, Kathy Beatty, Michelle Moore, Dave Moore, Chief Williams, and Paula Baughman worked extremely hard on this event.  Many other persons helped as well.  The event raised an overwhelming $19,358.00 for my family!  Prizes were donated by over 120 persons!  All the cash winners kindly donated their winnings back to our family, including the grand prize of $2,000!  We are so fortunate to have been directed into this family of people and this Community!  The Lord continues to provide for our every need!

http://kent.patch.com/articles/packed-house-for-don-beckett-reverse-raffle?ncid=M255#photo-6065997

If you paste the above link into your browser, you will see an article and 15 photos from the fundraiser by the Kent Patch!

I also received my letter this week from the Ohio Police & Fire Pension System regarding my disability from the fire service.  They have awarded me a total and permanent disability at 60% of my base pay less taxes and less health insurance cost.  Unfortunately, this is not enough money to live on and we will most likely file an appeal and provide the Board with additional information to attempt to get the percentage higher.  This may take several more months.  However, this is progress in the right direction to help provide for Heidi in the future!  Thank you Lord!

Please also keep in your prayers and student at Kent Roosevelt High School, Ryan Anderson, whom has Bone Cancer  and is undergoing Chemotherapy and surgery at this time! 

4 comments:

  1. Praise God from whom all blessings flow! Bask in His provision. Prayers that the next 3 weeks bring continued strengthening and recovery. Eat, drink and be merry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don,
    Thanks for your updates. It's understandable that the blog is not your priority; still, do appreciate these updates and I think it also provides a running diary for you to look back on.
    I am SO grateful to God for his mercy and for a bit of a reprieve for you & sweet Heidi.
    When you are up to it (and maybe when we aren't living in the cold rainforest anymore ;), let's hit Stoddards!
    Love you guys and will continue praying for you!
    Mike & Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this picture of you guys and I'm so happy you are feeling better. Keep it up, wonderful brother-in-law!

    ReplyDelete